Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Handy Candy for a Cold-Turkey

Aside from a lonely Saturday night setback of two cigarettes over the weekend, I’m on Day 5 without any cigarettes! The cravings have come on often, but they have lessened with each day of not smoking. When the cravings have hit me, I quickly turn to my readily handy, steadfast vice...candy and gum! I have used an assortment of these craving side-steppers and offer the following suggestions for those also preparing to quit smoking or are in the early stages of nicotine withdrawal:

CHEWING GUM: This has been my mainstay vice with packs tucked in my truck console, my purse, on my vanity, and next to the TV remote. I prefer sugarless gum because it doesn’t become hard to chew after 30 minutes, unlike the sugar-based gum (not to mention a lot less calories!). This means that my jaw doesn’t get easily sore, so I can keep resorting to a new piece when a frequent craving begins brewing. The flavor also seems to last much longer with sugarless gum, too. Because I always had an “ashtray” taste in my mouth as a smoker, I prefer the minty gum flavors. But, I keep some fruity flavors on hand to avoid boredom with the mint flavors. Icebreakers’ Ice Cubes sugarless gum from Hershey’s are my favorites because of the texture from the ground candy “crystals” in each piece.

Sugarless Faves: Icebreakers’ Ice Cubes’ “Spearmint” and “Kiwi Watermelon”; Orbit’s “Maui Melon Mint” and “Bubblemint”; Extra’s “Spearmint”.

Sugar-based Faves: Bazooka’s “Original” flavor; Super Bubble Gum's “Original” flavor.

HARD CANDIES: Unlike my chewing gum, I prefer the sugar-based hard candies instead. The flavor is sharper and more satisfying than the sugarless versions of the same candy. And, if I’m getting satisfaction from the sugar-based versions, then I eat fewer at a time—keeping my calorie count down! Hard candies have been ideal for me when watching TV because the flavor stays vibrant and last for several minutes.

Sugar-based Faves: Jolly Rancher “Original Flavors” Candy; LifeSavers’ “Original” flavors; Crème Savers’ “Strawberry & Crème”.

Sugarless-based Faves: Sugar-Free Nips; BreathSavers’ “Wintergreen”; Sugar-Free Werther’s Original.

LOLLIPOPS: As “hard candy on a stick”, lollipops appear to meet not just the oral fixation need of smoking, but also can compensate for the need to keep my hands busy, too. However, I find suckers activity restrictive because of stick hanging out of my mouth. As a smoker, I wasted a lot of time to stay near my lit cigarette and lollipops remind me too much of that habit. However, the lollipops with a soft- candy center are fun when my cravings are extremely strong and I need to attentively refocus my energy.

Sugar-based Faves: Blowpops; Tootsie Pops; Dum Dum Pops.

Sugarless Faves: The generic $1 bags of kid-proof handle lollipops you see at doctor's offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment