Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Setback

I believe this particular blog will turn out to be darker than I had wanted to report, but I have attempted to keep my writing raw to remain useful to others. And I will attempt to remain within that framework...

Friends got me spooked on how grouchy I was probably going to be, so I decided to up my patch to the highest nicotine level—realizing, that it may be best for me to go at a slower pace and wean myself from the nicotine over a longer period of time (30-day, gradual step down). I quit smoking on Thursday and did well—chewed gum, Twizzler Pull-and-Peels, and hard candies—stayed busy, rested when time allowed and got through the day. Friday was the same way. However, I noticed the frequency of the cravings as more apparent. But, again, I stayed busy, rested when I could, and chewed lots of gum between my deep breathing.

Day 3 of not smoking became my emotional turning point. Without going into the humiliatingly, sordid details, my boyfriend of 9 months this time (2 years total) and I broke up. No way to repair it. Just over. Now, I was prepared for how to watch TV without smoking and how to gab on the phone without smoking and even how to do my nails without smoking. But, I wasn’t prepared for how to cope with losing my best friend. So, since late Saturday night and up to now, my week has been sprinkled with cigarettes.

After the day-long tears of Sunday wore off—temporarily ceased by a pedicure, pick-me-up, afternoon with girlfriends—I went Monday and Tuesday without smoking. I stayed a strong, determined woman and coped by keeping myself busy and not giving in to the reality of what I had just lost two days prior. But, then, in finally doing some heart to heart talking with my closest girlfriend about what had taken place that weekend, I left her house Tuesday night and bought a pack of cigarettes.

How do women do it? How do they move forward? I want to throw myself in bed and hide under the covers forever. I’m smoking because I don’t know what else to do? He and I are both at fault here, but the reality is that our relationship is unrecoverable. My self-esteem has taken a hit. I’m exhausted and I’m single again. I’m offering my suggestions on how I quit smoking, but I’m wondering from my readers, how do I get myself out of bed and look forward to a new day? There’s a deep, dark void. And I feel like a shell of myself right now.

Tomorrow, I’m going to dust myself off the best I can. Put on another patch. Cry privately when I need to do so. And pray that I heal quickly and that there’s a reason for everything. That’s all I know to do because there’s no instruction manual I’m aware of to cope with this loss, especially while trying to quit smoking?

6 comments:

  1. Aw, Cat. I'm so sorry. :o(

    I'll tell you how you get through, though: you realize that you deserve better, even if what you had was mostly good. If that relationship ended, it was for a very good reason. You may not realize it soon, but some day down the road you'll look back and say, "Thank God ThatGuy and I didn't last! I am so much better off now." I promise (trust me; it's happened to me, too). :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...I'm sorry you had such a terrible time. I don't know exactly how much time you took this weekend to just sit [which I realize is harder when you're trying to keep busy so as to not smoke..] but one of many things I learned from Gilmore Girls: wallow for a minute. Not for years or weeks or anything, just a night or an hour or something. I realize that sounds unhealthy but..I've been there. Get yourself a good movie [Stardust is a nice pick me up..Becoming Jane, not so much], some of your girls [or not..your choice], pizza, ice cream. The token comfort food. Give yourself the night, then get up the next day for your new morning. And keep in mind that something good IS going to come from all of this: your smoking, your breakup, your terrible week. Post-its of a to-do lists of each day also help me alot of the time...keeps you focused on the day, and it'll make you feel accomplished when you cross something off.

    Sorry for the novel, but..lessons learned for me. I'm sorry this all happened, but I hope things look up for you!! Things happen for a good reason, even if we can't see or understand them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops. by "your smoking," I meant...your quitting. just to clear that up. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat - I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have to agree with Amanda - one day you will be glad he is gone. I know that isn't much comfort now but it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly believe there is a reason for everything. You may not know why for a long time, [I'm still waiting for the reasoning behind my latest loss,] but I still believe that some day it'll become clear. I would suggest just keeping yourself busy. After your moment of wallowing, get back into a routine that keeps your mind on the tasks at hand.

    Hang in there, darlin'! You're strong, things will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Cat! Don't punish yourself. We all have a hard time breaking habits. You are human. Give yourself some grace and a new start.

    ReplyDelete