Monday, February 23, 2009

Step 2: The Game Plan

I have resigned with acceptance that the temporary benefits gained from my smoking no longer outweighs the long-term benefits I could gain in quitting. And I have contemplated, evaluated, and purposefully listed all the reasons I choose to quit smoking in my last two blogs. Knowing I will be out-of-sorts mentally and physically for at least 2-3 days as I experience my own nicotine withdrawal, I have evaluated my schedule and have set Thursday, February 26th as my official quit date.

Many experts recommend setting one’s quite date 7 days out to offer a smoker time to mentally prepare and to create the necessary game plan to help decrease those infamous “nic fit” triggers. I have spent the last four days informing close friends of my quit date (and a link to this blog so they have a better picture of what I’m facing) and doing some minimal tapering of my smoking. I only have 2 more actions to take before I say goodbye to ole “Cig”. First, I need to identify my triggers and create a plan to counter the cravings. Second, I need to decide if I want to use any type of nicotine replacement therapy and, if so, what kind?

Habits don’t go away, they can only be replaced (I think I heard that on Dr. Phil once during my leisure housewife days?). I’m a creature of habit like most, so the best I can do is replace the yucky choice to smoke with some healthier choices. So, just as I listed my reasons (and, thus, later rewards) to quit smoking, here’s my other list in black-and-white (for later reference) that identifies my common triggers and my realistic, countering choices:


Triggers............................................................ New Choice(s)

  • Morning wake-up (The hardest trigger for me to overcome!) ......................... Read a daily meditation book and/or hop on my treadmill for 20-30 minutes (layout workout clothes before bed).
  • Morning coffee ........................................... Stock up on Diet Mountain Dew and begin slow, tapering-off of my caffeine intake.
  • Doing hair and makeup ............................... Have a pack of chewing gum on my vanity, handy.
  • Television/movie watching ............................ Don’t sit in my usual spot and have hard candies and fruit handy (grapes, pomegranates, crunchy apples). Work on a puzzle or cross-stitch. Listen to Christian radio or classical music if nothings on the tube.
  • Moments of anxiety or stress .............................. Stop. Pray. Deep Breathing. Call someone.
  • Computer surfing, writing, and doing my homework ............................ Change work station placement and have hard candy, gum, and fruit handy.
  • Social drinking or that evening glass of wine ............................ For the first 30 days, drinking is not an option because of the intense trigger. Club soda and lime (for the playful fizz) or a cherry coke will be my vice.
  • Driving in my truck ................................. Gum on my console and a professional car wash and carpet shampoo to deter re-littering.
  • Chatting on the phone ............................ Pen and paper handy to doodle on.
  • Doing my nails....................... Don’t sit in my usual spot and have hard candies and fruit handy. Listen to relaxing music instead of watching a movie. Go to a professional salon.
  • At a party, a night club, or hanging out talking with friends ................Tell trusted friends about my craving and ask for their help in keeping me distracted. Chew gum.
  • Arguments with my boyfriend .................. Remember that he’s patient, understanding, and a great cheerleader. Every couple argues at some point and it’s only temporary.
  • Eating a meal or a hardy snack ...................... Avoid heavy starches and fried foods for the first 30 days. Do the dishes immediately after eating. Do some deep breathing.


Now I have an action plan and a shopping list for supplies. Notice that I’m also trying to stave off the infamous 10-pound weight-gain usually associated with former smokers as my metabolism goes through a temporary slow-down. Most cravings last approximately 5 minutes, but they occur ridiculously often the first 3 days and occur gradually less annoyingly often over the course of the next 30 days. With the exception of attending a few previously scheduled appointments, I plan to mostly rest the first three days I have quit. This is why it’s important to gather my supplies and have them in position beforehand because my temporary physical and mental shutdown during the first few days may sabotage my success.

The key to my whole plan of attack is to keep my stress and anxiety levels to a minimum. Prayer and the support of friends and family will play a big role in overcoming my old lifestyle. I’m excited, but scared by the anticipation of what may rise ahead.

The final decision is deciding to use nicotine replacement therapy. Today, I have many choices. In my last blog, I mentioned my last attempt at quitting over Christmas vacation. I chose to go “cold-turkey” and didn’t use any replacement therapy. And because I went back to smoking, I now question if that was the best choice for me?

When I quit smoking during my former marriage, I used the nicotine patch at the highest dosage for the first three days to overcome the hardest phase, while combining the patch with the anti-depressant, Wellbutrin. This medication has been FDA-approved as a nicotine replacement tool. However, over time, I noticed the medication actually exacerbated my anxiety levels. But, I had overcome my cravings by this point and so my doctor ceased my use. I’ve also tried the newer medication, Chantix, which acts as a nicotine inhibitor to allow a smoker to overcome the nicotine withdrawal while still smoking with an 80% success rate of making a smoker’s quit date more successful. However, Chantix’s common side-effect of nausea became too difficult for me to continue as I juggled my academic and job schedules. Besides medication, patches, and nicotine gum, holistic approaches such as acupuncture and herbal supplements are also available. For a list of nicotine replacement therapies, one can refer to the book, “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Quitting Smoking”.

Though my blog is titled “A Cold-Turkey’s Love Affair”, I have decided to use the Nicoderm CQ Step 3 patch for the first 3-4 days. I am using the lowest dosage because I want the nicotine out of my system relatively quickly, but I also want to avoid a complete and total shock to my body. It takes approximately 72 hours for nicotine to be flushed from the body. So if I use these patches as I described, I should be nicotine-free in approximately 7 days from my quit date. By that point, I should have already moved on from physical withdrawal issues to tackling the psychological withdrawal.

If all goes according to plan, I will share in my next blog how my withdrawal went and some of the rewards I’ve started to gain from my hard work. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. You seem to be tackling this daunting task in a very intelligent way. I'm glad you're setting up a game plan and being thoughtful about triggers and ways to keep yourself from falling into old habits once the quit date arrives. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to leave this comment the other day, but Blogger was freaking out and wouldn't load the CAPTCHA word. Grr!

    Anyway, let me know when you're planning to get your car cleaned out! I'm a cashier at AutoMagic and I just might be able to hook you up. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Cat! It seems that you couldn't have a better game plan. Kudos to you for thinking of everything. We may not know each other well, but feel free to post on my blog if you need to distract yourself from cravings. Of course, the methods you have outlined here would work much better. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth: When I was a Rotary Exchange student in Belgium, my Rotary counselor's girlfriend was quitting also. She was obsessed with suckers, herself. I noticed that you mentioned hard candies, which is why I mention the suckers. If you ever are looking for a little variety, you might pick up a pack o' Dum Dums at Wally World. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!! I know it will be a challenge but you can do it. Think of all the benefits and the money you will save. Sounds like you have a good plan. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents, who both smoked from teenage years until I was fourteen (dad was 57, mom was 50), used the Nicoderm system. And they haven't smoked in 8 years! Not only that, but even though they waited until way later in their lives, they both have said how much better they feel in day-to-day activities now that they don't smoke. So you're in good hands, I think, with the system you're choosing. I'll keep my fingers crossed--and don't forget that hard candy is your friend (but be careful on the sugar content ^_~)

    ReplyDelete